I’m on a journey to be considered a local somewhere, so why not Detroit? If you’re new to Michigan or Detroit, these might be weird things you notice too.
- Northerners and they way they say “Miracles”… YALL. They say it so wrong. Every person I’ve heard say it… It’s not right.
- Don’t try to tell anyone that anything is on “LaFayette” street. I could say they are pronouncing it wrong, but I think I may be saying it wrong… I blame the West Tennessee side of me.
- Detroit is oddly gloomy, mysterious and beautiful.. all at the same time. DET pulls at every emotion I have-joy, sorrow, hope- yet it’s cool. The hustle is for sure here and hope that meets people in their deepest need.
- I used to think people were “cold” in their personality. I think they’re just cold physically, so get inside and talk to people. They are much more friendly when they are warm. Don’t try to talk to strangers on the street; they don’t like that so much. This is where southern culture clashes… I promise I’m not thirsty and hitting on you. Just trying to be a human with you.
- Pot holes for days… BUT, people are great! I’ve seen so many videos about people repairing the pot holes in their neighborhood. I like the ownership people feel over this city.
- Speaking of Pot… it’s SO bizarre how many medicinal marijuana places there are in my neighborhood. I couldn’t figure out if we were living in the MJ epicenter or we had a skunk problem. Turns out, both. LINK TO MY NEIGHBOR WHO BURNED HIS HOUSE DOWN TRYING TO GET SKUNKS OUT OF HIS BASEMENT THIS WEEK. True story…
- “Paczki Day” is a big deal here, and no it’s not pronounced anything like how it’s spelled. Poonch-key. That’s how they pronounce it. It’s a lot like their pronunciation of “Miracles…” way off. From what I understand, it’s like a donut? Similar to kings cake tradition but polish… and 1000 calories. And you eat like 3. 🙂 Yum.
- Snow days are rare, but they are a thing and that’s so fun. I have yet to go sledding, skiing, or snowboarding (like ever) so next year maybe I’ll really learn some stuff. 🙂
- Speaking of snow, I have an SUV and it’s SUPER fun in a parking lot with ice and snow. 10/10 recommend playing in the snow in your heated car. 10/10 don’t recommend trying to get out of an alley in 2.5 feet of un-shoveled snow. You will get stuck and your southern heart will have NO IDEA what to do.
- Motor City Soul Food has HANDS DOWN the best food in Detroit.
- Michigan lefts are still so dumb. I just don’t understand the intersections here… Jesus take the wheel!